China starts resettling 3.3 lakh people for key water project
Beijing: Authorities have started resettling 3.3 lakh people in central China to make way for the ambitious south-north water diversion project on the mighty Yangtze River which will supply water to parched northern cities including Beijing.
The resettlement project involving 330,000 people living in central China`s Hubei and Henan provinces has commenced and they will be relocated from their homes near the Danjiangkou reservoir, where sluice will be built to divert water from the Yangtze River to thirsty north China regions including Beijing, Tianjin, Henan and Hebei.
Officials in Henan said the provincial government has approved new settlement areas with good soil quality for relocated people. Xichuan County, Henan, will see the resettlement of 162,000 people, the largest in a single county, in 185 villages.
Resettlement in Henan is scheduled to be completed in 2011, Xinhua news agency reported.
The resettlement project is the country`s second largest resettlement plan following the Three Gorges Hydro-Power Project on the Yangtze, the world`s largest, which involves the resettlement of 1.27 million residents in central China`s Hubei province.
Planned for completion in 2050, the south-north water project, costing some USD 62 billion, will divert 44.8 billion cubic meters of water annually to the population centres of
the drier north and pass by 44 Chinese cities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- Watch it to believe it: Cricket 'watching' at its best
- Manchester United invite Pakistan cricket team for a visit at Old Trafford football stadium – See pics!
- Explosion near reception centre for refugees in Zirndorfin of southern Germany
- Italy expels imam who named daughter Jihad
- Assam reels under massive flood; 1.5 million affected