China steps up surveillance of South China Sea
Beijing: Amid maritime disputes with countries like the Philippines over the resource rich islands in the South China Sea, China has put them under active three-dimensional surveillance.
China has adopted three-dimensional (3D) visual management over 4,000 islands, a report by the Ministry of Land and Resources said.
Three-dimensional visual information of these islands is collected via ground vehicles, airplanes and satellites.
Also 2,851 islands have been put under aviation monitoring and surveillance, and 45 islands along baseline points of China`s territorial waters are under ground watch, the report said.
All the historical data of Chinese islands have been processed and put into a database to strengthen island management, the report said.
The government last year also released its first list of uninhabited islands available for development in the country, the report said.
China has maritime disputes with Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia and Brunei over a number of small uninhabited islands in the South China Sea and with Japan in the Pacific Ocean.
According to the report, China`s ocean-related industries totalled CNY 4.56 trillion (USD 724.49 billion) in output in 2011, an increase of 10.4 percent from a year earlier.
The figure accounted for 9.7 percent for the country`s total GDP, the report said.
The share of ocean-related industries in the Pan-Bohai region stood at 36.1 percent, while that of the Yangtze River Delta and the Pearl River Delta was 30.1 percent and 21.5 percent, respectively, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof