China submits its claims to UN on Continental Shelf in EC Sea
Beijing: Amid its raging maritime territorial dispute with Japan, China on Thursday presented to the UN Secretariat its detailed claims to the contested waters in the East China Sea.
Physiognomy and geological characteristics show that the continental shelf in the East China Sea is the natural prolongation of China`s land territory, state-run Xinhua news agency quoted the Partial Submission Concerning the Outer Limits of the Continental Shelf beyond 200 Nautical Miles in the East China Sea as saying.
The natural prolongation of the continental shelf of China in the East China Sea extends to the Okinawa Trough, which is an important geographical unit featuring remarkable partition, it says.
Japan opposes China`s claims in this regard in East China Sea.
The Japanese government opposes China`s bid regarding the continental shelf boundary mapping in the East China Sea on the ground that the shelf boundary mapping in the East China Sea and several other maritime areas, is invalid because there is no consensus on this boundary among China`s neighbouring countries.
The Japanese government appealed for a UN refusal of China`s proposal in accordance with the "UN Convention on the Law of the Sea," which regulates the continental shelf boundary drawn by a country can only be validated when consented upon by the rest of its adjacent countries.
China and Japan are also locked in a dispute over islands in the East China Sea.
While Japan which calls the islands Senkakus has an administrative control, China in the recent months stepped up efforts to take control of the islets, it calls as Diaoyu islands.
Yesterday, China for the first time sent a marine surveillance plane to join its warships to monitor the disputed islands with Japan, forcing Tokyo to scramble eight F-15 fighter jets.
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match
- Congress may project Priyanka Gandhi or Rahul Gandhi as its CM candidate for UP polls 2017