China suspends TV channel over ‘distorted values’
Beijing: China`s broadcasting watchdog
banned a municipal TV channel for one month after one of its
programs allegedly misrepresented events, magnified family
conflict, and depicted disrespect toward an elderly parent.
The State Administration of Radio, Film and Television
(SARFT) said in a circular that the movie channel of
Shijiazhuang TV in north Hebei Province had "magnified
distorted ethics and moral values" and "caused extremely
negative social effects".
On June 29, the channel aired the 36-minute talk show
`Emotional Codes`, which purported to depict real-life scenes
among a husband, his wife and the man`s elderly father.
During the segment, the son treated his father
disrespectfully, at one point berating him and threatening to
take him to court over money.
But in fact, the entire scene was scripted, with all three
participants paid for their performances by the show`s
producer, the Hebei Jiutian Media Company Limited, it was
The SARFT held Shijiazhuang TV responsible for failing to
screen its programmes, misleading the public, and tainting the
image of radio and TV in its reckless pursuit of ratings.
The channel has been ordered to rectify its wrongdoing and
won`t be permitted to resume programming until October 17, if
it obtains consent from the SARFT.
China`s broadcasting regulator often suspends or orders
changes to the content of programs it deems weird, vulgar or
In 2007, the SARFT issued a list of rules to uphold high
moral standards during the sequel of the popular TV talent
contest `Happy Boys`.
The talent show, similar to `American Idol`, was ordered
to include only "healthy and ethically inspiring" songs.
The program was also told to avoid "gossip" about the
contestants, and not to show scenes of screaming fans or
tearful losing contestants, as those were believed to be of
China has a number of TV channels and print media but all
of them are state owned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Say goodbye to your acidity woes with these ten simple tips!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital