China suspends TV channel over ‘distorted values’
Beijing: China`s broadcasting watchdog
banned a municipal TV channel for one month after one of its
programs allegedly misrepresented events, magnified family
conflict, and depicted disrespect toward an elderly parent.
The State Administration of Radio, Film and Television
(SARFT) said in a circular that the movie channel of
Shijiazhuang TV in north Hebei Province had "magnified
distorted ethics and moral values" and "caused extremely
negative social effects".
On June 29, the channel aired the 36-minute talk show
`Emotional Codes`, which purported to depict real-life scenes
among a husband, his wife and the man`s elderly father.
During the segment, the son treated his father
disrespectfully, at one point berating him and threatening to
take him to court over money.
But in fact, the entire scene was scripted, with all three
participants paid for their performances by the show`s
producer, the Hebei Jiutian Media Company Limited, it was
The SARFT held Shijiazhuang TV responsible for failing to
screen its programmes, misleading the public, and tainting the
image of radio and TV in its reckless pursuit of ratings.
The channel has been ordered to rectify its wrongdoing and
won`t be permitted to resume programming until October 17, if
it obtains consent from the SARFT.
China`s broadcasting regulator often suspends or orders
changes to the content of programs it deems weird, vulgar or
In 2007, the SARFT issued a list of rules to uphold high
moral standards during the sequel of the popular TV talent
contest `Happy Boys`.
The talent show, similar to `American Idol`, was ordered
to include only "healthy and ethically inspiring" songs.
The program was also told to avoid "gossip" about the
contestants, and not to show scenes of screaming fans or
tearful losing contestants, as those were believed to be of
China has a number of TV channels and print media but all
of them are state owned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors