China takes swipe at North Korea
Washington: In a move that signifies growing frustration with North Korea, China has taken a rare, if thinly veiled, shot at its ally over the steadily escalating tension on the Korean peninsula.
New Chinese President Xi Jinping said that no country should be allowed to throw a region and even the whole world into chaos for selfish gain. Even though the president did not point out North Korea specifically, the comment is widely seen as directed toward Pyongyang, reports CBS News.
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi also voiced frustration, saying they oppose provocative words and actions from any party in the region and that they do not allow troublemaking on China`s doorstep.
South Korean defense officials say the North may be preparing to launch missiles this week in what would be the latest in a recent string of provocative actions and statements.
Pyongyang has also warned that it could not guarantee the safety of foreign embassy staff beyond April 10, which is seen as a possible date for a launch if North Korea does, in fact, go through with one.
According to a senior US official, Beijing`s relations with Pyongyang have reached a near-historic low. China is North Korea`s only diplomatic or financial backer.
However, China`s latest messages aren`t enough for some in the US, who feel that China holds the key to the Korean problem.
According to the US Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., China can cut off North Korea`s economy if they want to. He said Chinese behaviour has been "very disappointing".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video