China targets illegal foreigners with stringent law
Beijing: China`s top legislature has passed a new exit and entry law which stipulates harsher punishments for foreigners illegally entering, living or working in the country.
The draft law was adopted Saturday at the five-day bi-monthly session of the National People`s Congress (NPC) Standing Committee, China Daily reported.
The law requires foreigners to obtain valid identification documents when working in China and they cannot not be employed without valid employment certificates.
According to the law, employers will be fined 10,000 yuan (about $1,600) for every foreigner they illegally employ. Any monetary gain resulting from such employment will also be confiscated, reported Xinhua.
The legislation says the units or personnel employing foreigners or enrolling foreign students should report employment information to local police departments. Citizens have been encouraged to report clues about foreigners possibly living or working illegally.
"The number of foreigners entering China has been increasing by 10 percent annually since 2000," said Yang Huanning, vice minister for Public Security.
"Their identities and goals are more diverse than ever, and their activities are wide-ranging and complicated."
The number of foreigners employed in China jumped from 74,000 in 2000 to 220,000 by 2011-end, with many working as employees of foreign companies, teachers or representatives of foreign organisations, Yang added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?