China tightens restrictions on NGOs: Report
Beijing: Chinese government has tightened
restrictions on overseas donations to independent domestic
non-governmental organisations in what is being seen as a move
to impose more controls on them.
Under regulations that came into effect this month,
independent NGOs that accept donations from overseas donors
face more scrutiny than ever, the Hong Kong-based South China
Morning Post said in a report.
Now the State Administration of Foreign Exchange is
requiring NGOs to meet a new set of conditions, among them the
presentation of certificates of registration of the overseas
donor organisations abroad and a notarised donation agreement.
Religious groups are also required to obtain approval
from the authorities before accepting donations worth more
than 1 million yuan, it said. The move has sparked outrage
among independent grass-roots NGO workers, who fear it is the
latest step by the government to restrict their work, it said.
"Obviously this is targeting funding (from abroad) for
independent NGOs," said Wan Yanhai, head of outspoken Aids
"This gives the government even more control. The new
policy is a weapon that targets NGOs, it`s a gun in their
The central government increasingly realises the value
of NGOs` community work but also distrusts their motives,
especially those that receive funding from abroad, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon