China to beef up radiation safety at nuclear reactors
Beijing: China has stepped up efforts to
beef up radiation safety supervision at its nuclear reactors,
amid global concerns over the crisis at the crippled Fukushima
atomic plant in Japan.
China`s environmental regulator will spend 150 million
yuan (about USD 23.08 million) on nuclear and radiation safety
supervision, the Ministry of Environmental Protection said.
The ministry`s total budgetary expenditure is about
1.92 billion yuan this year, of which 1.12 billion yuan will
be used to carry out 61 environmental protection projects.
Among the major projects listed, the ministry will use
100 million yuan for tasks, including nuclear and radiation
safety monitoring, radioactive environment monitoring across
the country and electromagnetic radiation at key facilities
and offering technical support for supervising civilian
nuclear facilities, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Another 50 million yuan will be used to assess
technologies in ensuring safety of nuclear works.
The ministry also planned to allocate 220 million yuan
this year for ensuring its environment monitoring and
information gathering network runs smoothly.
China has already announced plans to upgrade emergency
safety procedures like installing mobile power generators at
nuclear plants to prevent the crisis faced by the Japanese
nuclear reactors after the devastating March 11 earthquake and
China suspended approval of new nuclear power stations
shortly after a 9.0-magnitude quake and ensuing tsunami-
crippled Japan`s nuclear plant, causing radioactive leaks.
The cabinet had ordered safety checks on nuclear
facilities, including projects under construction, and a
revision of safety standards to ensure the integrity of
China is building 12 nuclear plants in addition to the
six in operation, with at least 25 in the pipeline. China
National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC) said in September that it
plans to invest 800 billion yuan (USD 123 billion) into
nuclear energy projects by 2020.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?