China to build more aircraft carriers
Beijing: China on Thursday said it will build more aircraft carriers apart from the `Liaoning` to boost its defence and military capabilities.
"There will surely be more addition to Chinese military`s first aircraft carrier Liaoning, launched last year," said China`s Defence Ministry spokesman Yang Yujun.
China will comprehensively consider the development of aircraft carriers in accordance with the needs of national defence and military building, he added.
Currently, China operates one aircraft carrier, the Liaoning, which is based on an unfinished Russian-made carrier. It was delivered to the Chinese Navy on September 25 last year. The carrier`s original design allows it to carry about 30 fixed-wing aircraft.
China has also developed carrier-borne aircraft called J-15, which will be the main strike aircraft for its carrier fleet. The Liaoning has conducted successful take-off and landing tests of its carrier-borne J-15 fighters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed