China to build two Antarctic research stations
Beijing: China plans to build two new research stations in Antarctica by 2015 and site inspections are already being conducted by an expedition team, authorities said.
A summer station that can be used from December to March will be set up between the existing Zhongshan and Kunlun stations to provide replenishment and other logistical support, the State Oceanic Administration (SOA) said Thursday.
The station will be used to study geology, glaciers, geomagnetism and atmospheric science in Antarctica, reported Xinhua.
A perennial station will also be built in Victoria Land in Antarctica by 2015. The station will allow researchers to carry out multi-disciplinary research on bio-ecology and satellite remote sensing, according to the SOA.
China`s three existing Antarctic research stations are the Great Wall, Zhongshan and Kunlun stations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof