China to build two Antarctic research stations
Beijing: China plans to build two new research stations in Antarctica by 2015 and site inspections are already being conducted by an expedition team, authorities said.
A summer station that can be used from December to March will be set up between the existing Zhongshan and Kunlun stations to provide replenishment and other logistical support, the State Oceanic Administration (SOA) said Thursday.
The station will be used to study geology, glaciers, geomagnetism and atmospheric science in Antarctica, reported Xinhua.
A perennial station will also be built in Victoria Land in Antarctica by 2015. The station will allow researchers to carry out multi-disciplinary research on bio-ecology and satellite remote sensing, according to the SOA.
China`s three existing Antarctic research stations are the Great Wall, Zhongshan and Kunlun stations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'