China to buy air defence systems from Russia: Report
Moscow: China has agreed to buy a large number of S-300 anti-aircraft missile systems from Russia, Interfax news agency reported on Friday, citing the director of the Russian plant that makes the weapons.
The truck-mounted S-300, known in the West as the SA-20, can shoot down cruise missiles and aircraft.
Interfax quoted Igor Ashurbeili, director general of Almaz Antei which makes the missiles, that China would receive a total of 15 batteries of S-300s. He did not give the value of the deal.
In Russia`s armed forces, a S-300 battery normally consists of four truck-mounted installations, each consisting of four missiles held in metal tubes.
Moscow has said it plans to fulfil a contract to supply the S-300, nicknamed "the favourite" in Russia, to Iran, unnerving Israel and its close ally the United States.
The possible sale to Tehran of the S-300, which could protect Iran`s nuclear facilities against air strikes, has become a sensitive issue in Russia`s relations with Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj