China to buy air defence systems from Russia: Report
Moscow: China has agreed to buy a large number of S-300 anti-aircraft missile systems from Russia, Interfax news agency reported on Friday, citing the director of the Russian plant that makes the weapons.
The truck-mounted S-300, known in the West as the SA-20, can shoot down cruise missiles and aircraft.
Interfax quoted Igor Ashurbeili, director general of Almaz Antei which makes the missiles, that China would receive a total of 15 batteries of S-300s. He did not give the value of the deal.
In Russia`s armed forces, a S-300 battery normally consists of four truck-mounted installations, each consisting of four missiles held in metal tubes.
Moscow has said it plans to fulfil a contract to supply the S-300, nicknamed "the favourite" in Russia, to Iran, unnerving Israel and its close ally the United States.
The possible sale to Tehran of the S-300, which could protect Iran`s nuclear facilities against air strikes, has become a sensitive issue in Russia`s relations with Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand