China to buy air defence systems from Russia: Report
Moscow: China has agreed to buy a large number of S-300 anti-aircraft missile systems from Russia, Interfax news agency reported on Friday, citing the director of the Russian plant that makes the weapons.
The truck-mounted S-300, known in the West as the SA-20, can shoot down cruise missiles and aircraft.
Interfax quoted Igor Ashurbeili, director general of Almaz Antei which makes the missiles, that China would receive a total of 15 batteries of S-300s. He did not give the value of the deal.
In Russia`s armed forces, a S-300 battery normally consists of four truck-mounted installations, each consisting of four missiles held in metal tubes.
Moscow has said it plans to fulfil a contract to supply the S-300, nicknamed "the favourite" in Russia, to Iran, unnerving Israel and its close ally the United States.
The possible sale to Tehran of the S-300, which could protect Iran`s nuclear facilities against air strikes, has become a sensitive issue in Russia`s relations with Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- This is how Dr APJ Abdul Kalam looked when he was a kid!
- Govt reviews porn ban order, blocks only child pornography-related websites
- 'Idiots are lined up at every step': Young IAS officer's fight against sexual harassment
- Which Kapoor does Katrina like the most besides beau Ranbir?