China to create world’s largest security network
Beijing: China will spend GBP 2.6 billion on 500,000 surveillance cameras to create the world`s largest security network.
The system would create world`s largest ``Big Brother`` network of CCTV since the September 11 attacks.
The Chongqing city in China has been drawing up the plans for the system after clashes between religious groups in July 2009.
The cameras will be installed by 2012, with a purpose to reduce crime and to carry rescue operations and emergency controls.
According to The Daily Mail, Chongqing police chief Wang Zhijun said that the system would be the world’s largest security network since the September 11, 2001 attacks in the United States.
This camera system would dwarf a network of 40,000 cameras installed in China’s Xinjiang region.
The computerised cameras will be managed by one network, which will allow authorities and emergency services in the area of more than 30 million people to share the video feeds.
Chinese authorities are increasingly enlisting technology for security purposes. It was widely rolled out in Beijing during the 2008 Olympic Games.
The government has expended resources to police online activity and block anti-government postings and other politically sensitive material with a system known as the ``Great Firewall of China``.
Plans for the surveillance system came after officials in the region announced plans to build 10 luxury inland river cruise ships large enough for helicopters to land on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3