China to create world’s largest security network
Beijing: China will spend GBP 2.6 billion on 500,000 surveillance cameras to create the world`s largest security network.
The system would create world`s largest ``Big Brother`` network of CCTV since the September 11 attacks.
The Chongqing city in China has been drawing up the plans for the system after clashes between religious groups in July 2009.
The cameras will be installed by 2012, with a purpose to reduce crime and to carry rescue operations and emergency controls.
According to The Daily Mail, Chongqing police chief Wang Zhijun said that the system would be the world’s largest security network since the September 11, 2001 attacks in the United States.
This camera system would dwarf a network of 40,000 cameras installed in China’s Xinjiang region.
The computerised cameras will be managed by one network, which will allow authorities and emergency services in the area of more than 30 million people to share the video feeds.
Chinese authorities are increasingly enlisting technology for security purposes. It was widely rolled out in Beijing during the 2008 Olympic Games.
The government has expended resources to police online activity and block anti-government postings and other politically sensitive material with a system known as the ``Great Firewall of China``.
Plans for the surveillance system came after officials in the region announced plans to build 10 luxury inland river cruise ships large enough for helicopters to land on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!