China to expand seabed mining in Indian Ocean
Beijing: China on Saturday announced plans to
expand its seabed mineral explorations in the Indian Ocean
after an international authority approved its bid to mine for
polymetallic sulphide ore, much to the surprise of India.
Beijing has already got approval to explore in a 10,000
sq km seabed area in southwest Indian Ocean for the ore and
now it plans to invest more to expand the "depth and scope of
Following the approval, China`s Ocean Mineral Resources
Research and Development Association is set to sign a 15-year
exploration contract with the International Seabed Authority
(ISA) later this year granting pre-emptive rights for it to
develop the ore deposit in future, state run Xinhua reported.
"We will expand the depths and scope of oceanic research
and improve our understanding of the ocean, with special
focuses on the polar regions and deep sea environments," Liu
Cigui, head of the State Oceanic Administration (SOA), told a
meeting on oceanic technology here.
The move has already raised concerns in India with
Directorate of Naval Intelligence (DNI) informing the Indian
government that the contract would provide an excuse for China
to operate its warships besides compiling data on the vast
mineral resources in India`s backyard.
Chinese released a guideline on the oceanic science and
technology development between 2011 and 2015, vowing to invest
more to boost the country`s maritime economy.
Liu said more efforts will be made to boost innovation
and strive for breakthroughs in key technology in order to
stimulate the development of emerging oceanic industries but
did not mention the amount money China will be investing.
The announcement followed China`s bid for exploring the
international seabed region of southwest Indian Ocean for
polymetallic sulphide deposit was approved by ISA, last month
much to the surprise of India.
The guideline was jointly released at the meeting by the
SOA, the Ministry of Science and Technology, the Ministry of
Education and the National Natural Science Foundation, state
run Xinhua reported.
China also has obtained exclusive rights to prospect in a
75,000-square-km polymetallic nodule ore deposit in the east
Pacific Ocean in 2001.
Apparently in preparation for its ambitious oceanic
research projects, China has stepped up its experiments with
first manned deep sea submersible which touched about 6000
meters in the Pacific Ocean last month with three people on
According to China`s State Oceanic Administration (SOA),
the submersible named Jiaolong is designed to reach a maximum
depth of 7,000 meters expected some time next year.
It completed 17 dives in the South China Sea between May
31 and July 18 last year, reaching 3,759 meters during its
China is the fifth country to send a man 3,500 meters
below sea level, following the United States, France, Russia
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India