China to give high profile reception to Indian naval ships
Beijing: Four Indian naval ships scheduled to visit Shanghai on a rare goodwill visit next week, first since 2006, will receive "high-profile" reception, China said on Thursday.
As External Affairs Minister S M Krishna spoke of the goodwill tour of the naval ships to Shanghai during his meeting with his Chinese counterpart Yang Jeichi here today, the Chinese Minister told him that a high-profile reception awaited them.
The four ships -- a destroyer, frigate, corvette, fleet tanker -- comprising of 1,400 sailors would visit Shanghai from June 13-17.
Both India and Chinese militaries have prepared elaborate programmes to make it a major occasion for public diplomacy between the two countries.
Besides visit by top political and military officials, a large number of students were also invited to visit the ships.
The naval band is also set to perform in the city while the Indian sailors would take part in the local football match.
This is the first time Indian naval ships visited Chinese ports after 2006. A Chinese naval ship which recently visited Kochi received a warm welcome.
The visit by ships assumed significance as both countries discussed maritime cooperation besides taking part in the anti-piracy operations in the Gulf of Eden during Krishna`s visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her