China to host UN meet on Israel-Palestine
Beijing: China will host an international meeting of the United Nations aimed at reviving the stalled peace negotiations between Israel and Palestine here later this month.
The United Nations International Meeting in Support of Israeli-Palestinian Peace will to be held from June 18-19 at the request of the UN Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said today.
Under the theme "Reviving the collective international engagement towards a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict," the meeting will look at possible ways for the international community to create conditions conducive to the resumption of meaningful negotiations between the two nations.
The move to host the meeting comes after recent visits by Palestine President Mehmood Abbas and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netenyahu to China to hold talks with the new leadership here.
China will invite governments of relevant countries, representatives of the UN and other international organizations as well as scholars and experts to attend the meeting, Lei said.
China hopes the meeting will raise public awareness about the Palestinian issue and revive collective international engagement regarding peaceful negotiations between the parties, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers