China to launch major aircraft engine project: Sources
Beijing: The State Council, China`s cabinet, is currently deliberating a major aircraft engine research and development project, sources revealed Thursday.
The project will require an investment of at least 100 billion yuan (about 15.93 billion U.S. dollars), a professor at the Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics (BUAA) with knowledge of the project told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
The investment would be used mainly for research on technology, designs and materials related to aircraft engine manufacturing, the professor said.
The project is currently going through approval procedures in the State Council, and it may be approved shortly, the professor said.
Participants in the project include Shenyang Liming Aero-Engine Group Corp., AVIC Xi`an Aero-Engine (Group) Ltd. and research institutes, including the BUAA, he said.
"At present, China`s aircraft engine design and manufacturing have weak links in terms of materials, key parts, manufacturing equipment, processing precision and measurements," according to another source with the BUAA who is also involved in the project.
Although the country is capable of producing aircraft engines, product performance is inadequate and mass production cannot be realized, the second source with the BUAA said.
Guangda Securities, a brokerage firm in China, said Wednesday in a report that the country will need around 3,000 aircraft between now and 2026. This will create demand for some 6,500 aircraft engines worth 65 billion U.S. dollars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India