China to launch quantum experiment satellite in 2016
Beijing: China has initiated process to launch a satellite for quantum information and technology experiments in 2016, a leading quantum physicist said in Beijin on Thursday.
"We hope to establish a quantum communication network from Beijing to Vienna. Such a plan is impossible without international collaborations," Prof Pan Jianwei was quoted by state-run Xinhua news agency on Thursday.
The field of quantum communication, the science of transmitting quantum states from one place to another, has caught global attention in recent years owing to the discovery of quantum cryptography, which is described as a way of creating "unbreakable" messages, the Xinhua report said.
A member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Prof Pan of the University of Science and Technology of China led a frontier research team to conduct a 30-40 km quantum communication test on the Great Wall of China in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway