China to open first subway through longest river
Beijing: China`s first subway line to cross the Yangtze River, the country`s longest waterway, is expected to start test run this month in the central city of Wuhan, local officials have said.
Over the past three months, subway trains have run through the 27.73-km tunnel for Wuhan Line 2, which links Wuchang and Hankou, the two major areas of the city.
Passengers, however, will only be allowed to board the trains on December 28 when the test run starts, officials with the Hubei provincial transportation bureau said.
The subway line has recently passed the experts` assessment, state run Xinhua news agency reported.
It will be Wuhan`s first subway, which is estimated to transport at least 6,00,000 passengers daily by 2015.
As a key transportation route, the line is expected to handle half of the city`s cross-Yangtze traffic flow, easing gridlock on bridges over the river.
The construction costs around CNY 14.9 billion (USD 2.37 billion), according to estimates by previous reports.
The 6,300-km Yangtze River, which originates in northwest China`s Qinghai Province and flows through 10 provinces and municipalities before emptying into the East China Sea, is a major transport link between the west and east China.
More than 100 bridges across the river are in use.
Wuhan lies at the intersection of the Han and Yangtze rivers and its city proper is divided into three major areas by the rivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP