China to pay ‘great importance’ to ties with India: Xi Jinping
Beijing: China`s new leader Xi Jinping has assured Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that Beijing would continue to pay "great importance" to develop relations with India as the bilateral cooperation has brought "substantial benefit" to people of both nations.
"China will, as it has been doing, pay great importance to developing relations with India and expects to carry out close cooperation with India to create a brighter future of their of their bilateral relations," Xi wrote in a letter to Singh which was delivered to him by top Chinese diplomat Dai Bingguo on January 11 in New Delhi.
"China-India relations have maintained stable development in the past few years, which has brought about substantial benefits to the two countries and the two peoples," state-run Xinhua news agency quoted Xi as saying.
The world has enough space for China and India to achieve common development, and the world also needs common development, he said.
Dai, the chief negotiator of the India-China border talks was in New Delhi last week to attend the Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa (BRICS) top security officials meeting.
Xi`s letter was stated to be in response to a letter from Singh after his election as the General Secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) succeeding Hu Jintao.
Singh`s letter conveying his greetings to the new Chinese leadership as well as assurance to carry forward the relations was handed over by National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon last month when he visited Beijing.
Dai would be retiring from the post of State Councillor and top diplomat of the China after a decade during which he held 15 rounds of talks with Menon and several of his predecessors.
In his meeting with Singh, Dai said in the past 10 years, China and India have seen great development in their bilateral relations.
The two nations have efficiently controlled their disputes and differences and have pushed forward development of bilateral ties, while gradually finding a pragmatic way of maintaining friendly relationship of co-existence between them.
He said that in the next five to 10 years, China and India will see a strategically important period of opportunities to develop their relations.
Dai expressed his hope that the two countries will highly cherish, maintain and develop the momentum of good ties while expressing confidence that China-India relations will see greater and better development with the care and guidance of the leaders of the two countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey