China to play constructive role on Syria
Washington: China has stated that it will play a constructive role at the UN over the issue of usage of chemical weapons in Syria.
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi pledged on Thursday that China will play "a positive and constructive role" at the United Nations in helping resolve the crisis over Syria`s chemical weapons, Xinhua reported.
Speaking to reporters after holding talks with US Secretary of State John Kerry, Wang said they had "in-depth" exchange of views on the Syrian issue.
He expressed the hope that the ongoing talks in the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) would soon yield results, by reaching an agreement on starting the process of verifying and destroying Syria`s stockpile of chemical weapons.
"The UN Security Council should politically recognise and support such agreement. It should be united, instead of being divided, and speak with one voice. China is willing to play a positive and constructive role," Wang said.
In his opening remarks before the talks with Kerry, Wang said China welcomes the framework agreement reached not long ago by the US and Russia on ridding Syria of its chemical weapons.
"Ultimately, the issue of Syria needs to be resolved through political means. The Chinese side will continue to play a positive and constructive role in that direction," the Chinese diplomat said.
Kerry, in his opening remarks, said the US appreciates China`s support for a political solution to the Syrian crisis, which Washington believes is "ultimately available and possible".
While acknowledging the sharp disagreement between the two countries over the international response to Syria`s alleged use of chemical weapons, Kerry said the US looks forward to China "playing a positive, constructive, important role".
Wang and Kerry also held "useful" and "detailed" discussions on re-launching the stalled six-party talks on the denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing to discuss North Korean missile test
- Fiji military chief visits New Zealand for rebuilding of links between the armed forces
- Olympic flag arrives in Tokyo, host city of 2020 Summer Olympics
- Any talks on Kashmir must include Pakistan: Hurriyat Conference's Mirwaiz Umar Farooq
- Janmashtami special—Celebrate Krishna's birth with these top 5 Bollywood tracks!