‘China to probe firms that US fear evade Iran sanctions’
Washington: The United States said it has
raised concerns with China that some Chinese firms may be
evading UN Security Council sanctions against Iran, adding
Beijing had promised to investigate.
State Department spokesman Philip Crowley indicated that
the concerns were raised by envoy Robert Einhorn during
meetings in late September with the Chinese in New York during
the UN General Assembly and in Beijing.
"We did provide some information to China on specific
concerns about individual Chinese companies and the Chinese
assured us that they will investigate," Crowley told
The Washington Post reported late Sunday that the United
States believes some Chinese firms are helping Iran improve
its missile technology and develop nuclear weapons and has
asked Beijing to prevent such activity.
Citing an unnamed senior US official, the Post said the
request was conveyed during a visit to Beijing last month by a
US delegation led by Einhorn, the State Department`s special
adviser for non-proliferation and arms control.
Einhorn gave his Chinese counterparts a "significant
list" of companies and banks that the United States thinks are
violating UN sanctions against Iran without authorization from
the Chinese government, the report said.
US intelligence believes that several Chinese companies
have been providing restricted technology and materials to
Iran`s military programmes while some Chinese banks were
backing these deals, the paper noted.
Most of the deals concerned Iran`s missile programme,
according to The Post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday