China to run high-speed rail line through rough terrain
Beijing: The world`s first long high-speed rail line running through high-latitude regions with extremely low temperatures is set to begin operations in China next month.
The high-speed rail line linking northeastern Chinese city of Harbin and port city of Dalian will start service from next month and have speeds of around 350 kmph.
The 921-kilometre railway line is the world`s first long high-speed line running through high-latitude regions with extremely low temperatures during the winter season, state-run Xinhua news agency quoted railway officials as saying.
It is expected to cut travelling time between the two cities to about four hours from nine hours.
The line will go through the country`s three northeastern provinces -- Heilongjiang, Jilin, Liaoning. There will be 23 stops along the route, including that at the renowned industrial base Shenyang city, according to the ministry.
Due to safety concerns related to the climate, railway authorities have decided to adopt two different schedules. The speed during the winter season (December 1 to March 31) will be 200 kmph, while during the the summer period (April 1 to November 30) will see speeds of about 300 kmph.
The ministry said ticket prices will also vary depending on the schedule.
Harbin West, the line`s originating station, has been designed with a combined passenger capacity of 7,000 passengers per hour at peak time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog