China to send experts for Syrian chemical weapons inspections
Beijing: China on Monday said it will send its experts to join the inspections and destruction of chemical weapons in Syria.
"China will provide financial aid in this regard," Foreign Ministry spokesman Honge Lei told a news briefing when asked about the country`s role in facilitating a political solution on the Syria issue.
China has been actively engaged in consultations with the United Nations Security Council and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) Executive Council to facilitate the adoption of decisions and resolutions relating to Syria, Hong said.
He said the efforts helped bring Syria from the brink of war back on the path to peace and sending a unanimous call to the international community.
Hong reiterated China`s firm commitment to the purposes, principles and basic rules of international relations set in the UN Charter and its opposition to the threat or use of force.
"China supports the UN inquiry group`s investigation of Syria`s chemical weapons in an independent, objective, fair and professional way," he said, voicing opposition to the use of chemical weapons by anyone or any organisation.
"We welcome and support the second Geneva conference on Syria to be held as soon as possible and look forward to positive results from the meeting," he told reporters.
China hosted the Syrian government officials and opposition calling on them to observer ceasefire in the national and people`s interest.
Hong said that China urged the parties involved to end the crisis and reconstruct their country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender