China turns fifth largest global arms exporter
Stockholm: China has become the world`s fifth largest exporter of major conventional arms, replacing Britain, according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI).
This is the first time China has turned one of the top five weapons` exporters since the end of the cold war, said SIPRI Monday in a report containing new data on international arms transfers.
Paul Holtom, director of the SIPRI Arms Transfers Programme, said China`s rise was primarily driven by "large-scale arms acquisitions by Pakistan".
Some "recent deals indicate that China is establishing itself as a significant arms supplier to a growing number of important recipient states", he added.
According to SIPRI, the five largest suppliers of major conventional weapons in 2008-2012 were the US, which accounted for 30 percent of global arms exports, Russia (26 percent), Germany (7 percent), France (6 percent) and China (5 percent).
Overall, international transfers of major conventional arms grew by 17 percent between 2003-2007 and 2008-2012.
Britain has for the first time been excluded from the top five since at least 1950.
"China`s displacement of the UK is the first change in the composition of the top five exporters in 20 years," the report said.
SIPRI noted that Chinese exports of major conventional weapons increased 162 percent between 2003-2007 and 2008-2012, and the country`s share of international arms exports grew from two to five percent.
SIPRI is an independent analytical centre conducting research into conflicts, armaments and arms control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing