China upholds Nobel winner`s relative`s sentence
Beijing: A Chinese court has upheld the 11-year prison sentence handed down to the brother-in-law of jailed Nobel Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo.
Relatives have denounced Liu Hui`s conviction for fraud in a real estate dispute as political payback for Liu Xiaobo`s pro-democracy advocacy. Liu Xiaobo was imprisoned for subversion in 2009.
However, lawyer Shang Baojun said the court in suburban Beijing`s Huairou district turned down Liu Hui`s appeal today.
Liu Hui`s sister, Liu Xia, has been under house arrest since her husband was awarded the Nobel prize in 2010. Shang said that Liu Xia, who has stridently protested her extra-legal detention, did not attend today`s hearing because she wasn`t feeling well.
Liu Xiaobo`s Nobel prize infuriated China`s communist leaders, who adamantly reject his calls for multiparty Western-style democracy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai