China upholds Nobel winner`s relative`s sentence
Beijing: A Chinese court has upheld the 11-year prison sentence handed down to the brother-in-law of jailed Nobel Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo.
Relatives have denounced Liu Hui`s conviction for fraud in a real estate dispute as political payback for Liu Xiaobo`s pro-democracy advocacy. Liu Xiaobo was imprisoned for subversion in 2009.
However, lawyer Shang Baojun said the court in suburban Beijing`s Huairou district turned down Liu Hui`s appeal today.
Liu Hui`s sister, Liu Xia, has been under house arrest since her husband was awarded the Nobel prize in 2010. Shang said that Liu Xia, who has stridently protested her extra-legal detention, did not attend today`s hearing because she wasn`t feeling well.
Liu Xiaobo`s Nobel prize infuriated China`s communist leaders, who adamantly reject his calls for multiparty Western-style democracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof