China urges Japan to halt disputed island visit
Beijing: China on Saturday protested to Japan over the planned trip by Japanese lawmakers to a disputed island chain in the East China Sea, saying it seeks to undermine the country`s territorial sovereignty.
Foreign Ministry Spokesman Qin Gang said China lodged solemn representation to Japan asking it to immediately stop the action by Japanese politicians as it seeks to undermine China`s territorial sovereignty.
Any unilateral action taken by Japan with regards to the island chain is illegal and invalid, Qin said, according to the news agency.
China`s protest comes a day after Japan deported 14 Chinese nationals who were arrested in the area after some of the group landed on the uninhabited islands on Wednesday.
Both countries claim sovereignty over the uninhabited islands, which China calls Diaoyu and Japan calls Senkaku. Ownership of the islands would give either nation exclusive oil, mineral and fishing rights in surrounding waters.
Some Japanese lawmakers and members of right-wing groups plan to go to the Diaoyu Islands waters to mourn war dead on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch