China urges Japan to halt disputed island visit
Beijing: China on Saturday protested to Japan over the planned trip by Japanese lawmakers to a disputed island chain in the East China Sea, saying it seeks to undermine the country`s territorial sovereignty.
Foreign Ministry Spokesman Qin Gang said China lodged solemn representation to Japan asking it to immediately stop the action by Japanese politicians as it seeks to undermine China`s territorial sovereignty.
Any unilateral action taken by Japan with regards to the island chain is illegal and invalid, Qin said, according to the news agency.
China`s protest comes a day after Japan deported 14 Chinese nationals who were arrested in the area after some of the group landed on the uninhabited islands on Wednesday.
Both countries claim sovereignty over the uninhabited islands, which China calls Diaoyu and Japan calls Senkaku. Ownership of the islands would give either nation exclusive oil, mineral and fishing rights in surrounding waters.
Some Japanese lawmakers and members of right-wing groups plan to go to the Diaoyu Islands waters to mourn war dead on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you