China urges US not to interfere in sovereignty
Beijing: China on Thursday urged the US to stop interfering into Chinese sovereignty after the State Department voiced concern over indictment of a former college teacher named Ilham Tohti.
Tohti was prosecuted for separatism in Xinjiang Uygur region Wednesday.
"Ilham Tohti violated Chinese law, and his case is being processed in accordance with the law," Xinhua quoted Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Qin Gang as saying in response to a question from the press.
"The US side has on many occasions made irresponsible remarks on China`s law enforcement and judicial practices under the disguise of their so-called `human rights` and `freedom,` which constitutes wanton interference in China`s sovereignty," Qin said.
On Wednesday, Marie Harf, deputy spokesperson of the US State Department, said that the US side was deeply concerned about the indictment of Ilham Tohti, and called on China to release him and to guarantee his human rights and freedom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list