China urges US not to interfere in sovereignty
Beijing: China on Thursday urged the US to stop interfering into Chinese sovereignty after the State Department voiced concern over indictment of a former college teacher named Ilham Tohti.
Tohti was prosecuted for separatism in Xinjiang Uygur region Wednesday.
"Ilham Tohti violated Chinese law, and his case is being processed in accordance with the law," Xinhua quoted Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Qin Gang as saying in response to a question from the press.
"The US side has on many occasions made irresponsible remarks on China`s law enforcement and judicial practices under the disguise of their so-called `human rights` and `freedom,` which constitutes wanton interference in China`s sovereignty," Qin said.
On Wednesday, Marie Harf, deputy spokesperson of the US State Department, said that the US side was deeply concerned about the indictment of Ilham Tohti, and called on China to release him and to guarantee his human rights and freedom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!