China urges US not to interfere in sovereignty
Beijing: China on Thursday urged the US to stop interfering into Chinese sovereignty after the State Department voiced concern over indictment of a former college teacher named Ilham Tohti.
Tohti was prosecuted for separatism in Xinjiang Uygur region Wednesday.
"Ilham Tohti violated Chinese law, and his case is being processed in accordance with the law," Xinhua quoted Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Qin Gang as saying in response to a question from the press.
"The US side has on many occasions made irresponsible remarks on China`s law enforcement and judicial practices under the disguise of their so-called `human rights` and `freedom,` which constitutes wanton interference in China`s sovereignty," Qin said.
On Wednesday, Marie Harf, deputy spokesperson of the US State Department, said that the US side was deeply concerned about the indictment of Ilham Tohti, and called on China to release him and to guarantee his human rights and freedom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune