China, US agree Iran must respond to nuclear offer: US
New York: US Secretary of State John Kerry and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi agreed on Thursday on the need for a positive response by Iran in renewed nuclear talks, a US official said.
"Both the US and China believe that Iran should cooperate and should respond positively to the offer on the table," the official told reporters.
Kerry later today will hold one of the highest-level meetings between Iran and the US since the 1979 revolution when he sits down with his Iranian counterpart Mohammad Javad Zarif for nuclear talks led by the five permanent members of the UN Security Council and Germany.
The group, dubbed the P5+1, made a new offer to Iran earlier this year, before Rouhani`s election, on how to overcome a current stalemate in the nuclear dossier.
It is believed to have offered an easing of international sanctions which have crippled the Iranian economy, in return for a slow down of Iran`s controversial uranium enrichment programme.
But the Iranian government has yet to respond fully to the offer.
Kerry and Wang met just hours before the landmark meeting of the global powers seeking to rein in Iran`s suspect nuclear program.
"On Iran they were coordinating in the run-up to today`s P5+1 meeting," the senior State Department official said.
"They talked through the elements of the diplomatic track as well as the sanctions track."
Kerry also asked Wang to share his impressions of the new Iranian leadership which took power in August, after recent Iranian-Chinese talks on the sidelines of a conference in Bishkek.
"The foreign minister shared a bit of his thinking with regard to the new leadership in Iran," the US official said, but refused to go into further detail.
New Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, seen as a moderate in Iranian politics, has madeovertures to the West since taking office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read