China-US military ties improve: Media
Beijing: China`s military, the largest in the world, is taking concrete steps to foster closer links with US to address concerns arising out of its massive modernisation, a media report said.
The increased military power of China, as well as the rise of China, has been met with unease among the West powers and in particular the world`s largest military spender, the United States, a commentary in the state-run Xinhua news agency said.
China has been taking concrete steps to improve communication and transparency with Western partners, it said, adding that it has repeatedly stated the defencive nature of its national defence policy and its willingness to engage in international military exchanges and operations.
Highlighting China`s intention and responsibility as a global player to safeguard world peace, it said the world`s two biggest militaries has designed several programs including senior-level dialogues, working-level exchanges and practical activities to continue the defence links.
Both Chinese and US navies conducted their first joint anti-piracy drills in the Gulf of Aden last September and China will participate in the 2014 Rim of the Pacific Exercise (RIMPAC).
The RIMPAC is held by the US Pacific Fleet in seas around the Hawaiian islands. The exercises once trained for conflict with the Soviet Union and later included Russia as a participant. China was an observer to the drills in 1998.
On the other side of the Atlantic, China and Britain set up the Defence Strategic Dialogue in 2012, which, to put it in British Chief of Defence Staff Nicholas Houghton`s words, seeks to "better understand not just our capabilities but also the policies that underpin those capabilities.
"It has also got a defence strategic dialogue with France, which focused on the development of bilateral military ties, as well as international and regional issues of common concern," it said.
These efforts are now starting to bear fruit, it said.
However, to further develop their relations, China and the Western powers should work together, as partners rather than rivals, to deal with issues such as the global challenge presented by cyber security threats and to build mutual trust, especially in the military field, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams