China-US mutual trust grows despite gaps: Chinese envoy
Washington: There is growing mutual trust between China and the US, and China is firmly committed to seeking a new type of inter-power relationship, said Cui Tiankai, China`s new ambassador to Washington.
Cui, who met US Secretary of State John Kerry Wednesday, told reporters that he does not agree with the so-called deficit of trust between China and the US.
Instead, he believed mutual trust is growing, reported Xinhua.
"We have worked together on so many issues, and on some of these issues we will certainly have different interests and have different policies," he said, "but still we have managed these issues quite well and the overall relationship is still developing."
"Maybe the level of confidence is not as high as we would like to see, but it is certainly growing," he added.
Cui noted that the relationship between China and the US is one of the most important bilateral relationships in the world, and that both sides have attached great importance to the sound development of this relationship.
He stressed that China is firmly committed to building a cooperative partnership based on mutual respect and mutual benefit with the US and to the joint exploration of ways to build a new type of relationship between big powers.
"Of course, there would be difficulties and problems we have to face. But I think both sides have displayed determination to work together, to solve these problems and difficulties and to respond to any possible new challenges," Cui said.
When asked about the escalating tensions on the Korean peninsula, Cui reiterated that a diplomatic solution is "the only feasible and viable option on the table".
China urged all parties to remain calm and refrain from any actions that may escalate tensions, Cui said.
Cui arrived in Washington Tuesday to serve as the 10th Chinese ambassador to the US. He was Chinese vice foreign minister from 2010 to 2013, and prior to that Chinese ambassador to Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees