China uses trade to influence Taiwan election
Xuejia: China is an undeclared but widely acknowledged player in Taiwan`s upcoming election.
Saturday`s vote pits a China-favoured incumbent against a challenger whose party on paper rejects the unification with China that Beijing wants.
Beijing hopes that Taiwanese voters will think of the benefits trade with China brings.
It has reduced import duties on orchids, tropical fruits and other regional specialties from Taiwan as part of a landmark 2010 trade agreement. Fish farmers on the terraced plains above Taiwan`s west coast are exporting tons of sweet, flaky milkfish to the mainland, thanks to the lower duties.
The latest polls show a neck and neck race.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?