China uses trade to influence Taiwan election
Xuejia: China is an undeclared but widely acknowledged player in Taiwan`s upcoming election.
Saturday`s vote pits a China-favoured incumbent against a challenger whose party on paper rejects the unification with China that Beijing wants.
Beijing hopes that Taiwanese voters will think of the benefits trade with China brings.
It has reduced import duties on orchids, tropical fruits and other regional specialties from Taiwan as part of a landmark 2010 trade agreement. Fish farmers on the terraced plains above Taiwan`s west coast are exporting tons of sweet, flaky milkfish to the mainland, thanks to the lower duties.
The latest polls show a neck and neck race.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!