China uses trade to influence Taiwan election
Xuejia: China is an undeclared but widely acknowledged player in Taiwan`s upcoming election.
Saturday`s vote pits a China-favoured incumbent against a challenger whose party on paper rejects the unification with China that Beijing wants.
Beijing hopes that Taiwanese voters will think of the benefits trade with China brings.
It has reduced import duties on orchids, tropical fruits and other regional specialties from Taiwan as part of a landmark 2010 trade agreement. Fish farmers on the terraced plains above Taiwan`s west coast are exporting tons of sweet, flaky milkfish to the mainland, thanks to the lower duties.
The latest polls show a neck and neck race.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- Newborn with Zika virus found infected 2 months after birth
- Govinda ala re! Bollywood wishes Happy Janmashtami to all—See inside
- This is how CPI-M countered BJP’s Janmashtami procession in Kerala
- Six killed, 25 injured in bus-truck collusion in China
- Rajnath Singh assures alternative to pellet guns in Kashmir; Mufti says stone-pelting, attacking security camps won't bring peace