China wants more dialogue on Iran nuclear issue
Beijing: China, which voted for new UN sanctions against Iran over its nuclear program, said on Thursday that the punishment does not mean the door to a diplomatic solution is closed and called for renewed efforts at negotiations.
China is a key ally of Iran and could have vetoed the resolution that targets Iran`s powerful Revolutionary Guard, ballistic missiles and nuclear-related investments. It had been a vocal opponent of a fourth round of sanctions and its support came about only in recent months after intense lobbying by the United States and its allies.
"China always holds that the correct way to address the Iranian nuclear issue is through dialogue, negotiation and other diplomatic means to seek a solution that satisfies the concerns of all parties," Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said in a statement.
"The fact that the UN Security Council passed the resolution does not mean the door to diplomatic efforts is closed," he said.
In New York, China`s UN Ambassador Li Baodong said after Wednesday`s vote that the sanctions were aimed at curbing non-proliferation and would not affect "the normal life of the Iranian people" nor deter normal trade activity.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was set to arrive in China later Thursday to tour the World Expo in Shanghai, but he was not expected to hold talks with senior Chinese leaders.
Beijing`s main concern over sanctions seemed to be that they did not want them to go so far as to harm its economic ties with Iran, with whom trade volume reached at least USD 36.5 billion last year. China is a major exporter of consumer goods and machinery to Iran and Chinese companies also have major investments in Iranian energy extraction projects and the construction of roads, bridges and power plants.
China depends on oil- and gas-rich Iran for 11 percent of its energy needs and last year became Tehran`s biggest trading partner, according to Iranian figures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics