China wants peace cooperation between UN, regional organisations
United Nations: China has called for enhanced peacekeeping cooperation and coordination between the UN and regional organisations to maximise their respective advantages.
Liu Jieyi, China`s permanent representative to the UN, made the remarks here at the Security Council`s open debate on regional partnership and its evolution in UN peacekeeping, which focused on the world organisation`s relevant cooperation with African regional groups, Xinhua reported.
Over the recent years, the UN and regional and subregional organisations such as the African Union (AU) have increasingly strengthened their cooperation in peacekeeping. They have yielded good and recognizable results in peacekeeping operations in Darfur of Sudan, Somalia, Mali, Central African Republic and South Sudan, Liu told the 15-nation body.
"The United Nations needs to further strengthen cooperation with regional organisations such as the AU in strategic planning, deployment, communication and coordination of peacekeeping operations, so as to effectively support African regional organisations in their efforts to maintain regional peace and security," he said.
Meanwhile, the Chinese envoy noted, the UN and regional organisations such as the AU should be guided by the UN Charter in strengthening their cooperation in peacekeeping operations.
The coordination should also be enhanced to fully display their respective advantages and to bring out synergy, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan