China wants peace cooperation between UN, regional organisations
United Nations: China has called for enhanced peacekeeping cooperation and coordination between the UN and regional organisations to maximise their respective advantages.
Liu Jieyi, China`s permanent representative to the UN, made the remarks here at the Security Council`s open debate on regional partnership and its evolution in UN peacekeeping, which focused on the world organisation`s relevant cooperation with African regional groups, Xinhua reported.
Over the recent years, the UN and regional and subregional organisations such as the African Union (AU) have increasingly strengthened their cooperation in peacekeeping. They have yielded good and recognizable results in peacekeeping operations in Darfur of Sudan, Somalia, Mali, Central African Republic and South Sudan, Liu told the 15-nation body.
"The United Nations needs to further strengthen cooperation with regional organisations such as the AU in strategic planning, deployment, communication and coordination of peacekeeping operations, so as to effectively support African regional organisations in their efforts to maintain regional peace and security," he said.
Meanwhile, the Chinese envoy noted, the UN and regional organisations such as the AU should be guided by the UN Charter in strengthening their cooperation in peacekeeping operations.
The coordination should also be enhanced to fully display their respective advantages and to bring out synergy, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!