China warns against US-S Korea joint naval drills
Beijing: China Friday warned against any military acts in its exclusive economic zone without its permission as the US and South Korea prepare for joint naval exercises in the Yellow Sea this weekend in a show of strength against belligerent North Korea, Beijing`s close ally.
"We hold a consistent and clear-cut stance on the issue. We oppose any party to take any military acts in our exclusive economic zone without permission," Chinese Foreign
Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said in a statement.
The comment came as the US and South Korea are to launch a joint naval exercise on November 28 amid heightened
tensions after North Korea shelled a South Korean island on
The military drill was announced after shelling in
waters off the west coast of the Korean Peninsula, leaving
four people dead.
US and South Korea have asked China to use its
influence over North Korea to reduce tensions. China is
opposing the drill, saying it would exacerbate tensions.
China asked all parties to help ease tension,
safeguard peace and stability in Korean Peninsula and the
"As the Korean Peninsula situation is highly
complicated and sensitive, all parties concerned should stay
calm and exercise restraint," Hong said.
Meanwhile, North Korea today warned that US-South
Korean plans for military manoeuvres put the peninsula on the
brink of war, and appeared to launch its own artillery drills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Florida shooting: Three taken into custody, more suspects sought
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka