China warns against US-S Korea joint naval drills
Beijing: China Friday warned against any military acts in its exclusive economic zone without its permission as the US and South Korea prepare for joint naval exercises in the Yellow Sea this weekend in a show of strength against belligerent North Korea, Beijing`s close ally.
"We hold a consistent and clear-cut stance on the issue. We oppose any party to take any military acts in our exclusive economic zone without permission," Chinese Foreign
Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said in a statement.
The comment came as the US and South Korea are to launch a joint naval exercise on November 28 amid heightened
tensions after North Korea shelled a South Korean island on
The military drill was announced after shelling in
waters off the west coast of the Korean Peninsula, leaving
four people dead.
US and South Korea have asked China to use its
influence over North Korea to reduce tensions. China is
opposing the drill, saying it would exacerbate tensions.
China asked all parties to help ease tension,
safeguard peace and stability in Korean Peninsula and the
"As the Korean Peninsula situation is highly
complicated and sensitive, all parties concerned should stay
calm and exercise restraint," Hong said.
Meanwhile, North Korea today warned that US-South
Korean plans for military manoeuvres put the peninsula on the
brink of war, and appeared to launch its own artillery drills.
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Bangladesh's ICC ODI ranking: How BCB president Nazmul Hassan created unnecessary confusion
- Five people killed after building collapses in Mumbai's Kamathipura
- Sonia, Rahul Gandhi to lead Congress gherao of Parliament on May 6
- Kesha legal battle: Singer releases her single post clash!
- Sushmita Sen is Farah Khan's 'best heroine'!