China warns against US-S Korea joint naval drills
Beijing: China Friday warned against any military acts in its exclusive economic zone without its permission as the US and South Korea prepare for joint naval exercises in the Yellow Sea this weekend in a show of strength against belligerent North Korea, Beijing`s close ally.
"We hold a consistent and clear-cut stance on the issue. We oppose any party to take any military acts in our exclusive economic zone without permission," Chinese Foreign
Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said in a statement.
The comment came as the US and South Korea are to launch a joint naval exercise on November 28 amid heightened
tensions after North Korea shelled a South Korean island on
The military drill was announced after shelling in
waters off the west coast of the Korean Peninsula, leaving
four people dead.
US and South Korea have asked China to use its
influence over North Korea to reduce tensions. China is
opposing the drill, saying it would exacerbate tensions.
China asked all parties to help ease tension,
safeguard peace and stability in Korean Peninsula and the
"As the Korean Peninsula situation is highly
complicated and sensitive, all parties concerned should stay
calm and exercise restraint," Hong said.
Meanwhile, North Korea today warned that US-South
Korean plans for military manoeuvres put the peninsula on the
brink of war, and appeared to launch its own artillery drills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?