China warns against US-S Korea joint naval drills
Beijing: China Friday warned against any military acts in its exclusive economic zone without its permission as the US and South Korea prepare for joint naval exercises in the Yellow Sea this weekend in a show of strength against belligerent North Korea, Beijing`s close ally.
"We hold a consistent and clear-cut stance on the issue. We oppose any party to take any military acts in our exclusive economic zone without permission," Chinese Foreign
Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said in a statement.
The comment came as the US and South Korea are to launch a joint naval exercise on November 28 amid heightened
tensions after North Korea shelled a South Korean island on
The military drill was announced after shelling in
waters off the west coast of the Korean Peninsula, leaving
four people dead.
US and South Korea have asked China to use its
influence over North Korea to reduce tensions. China is
opposing the drill, saying it would exacerbate tensions.
China asked all parties to help ease tension,
safeguard peace and stability in Korean Peninsula and the
"As the Korean Peninsula situation is highly
complicated and sensitive, all parties concerned should stay
calm and exercise restraint," Hong said.
Meanwhile, North Korea today warned that US-South
Korean plans for military manoeuvres put the peninsula on the
brink of war, and appeared to launch its own artillery drills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information