China warns Japan on economic fallout of island row
Beijing: China on Wednesday warned Japan that its decision to purchase disputed islands in the East China Sea would damage the bilateral trade between the two countries.
Japan`s move to purchase the islands called Diaoyu Islands by China and Senkaku by Japan will certainly affect and damage development of economic and trade relations between the two countries, the Chinese Ministry of Commerce (MOC) said today.
"It is not what we wish to see, for which Japan should take full responsibility," MOC spokesman Shen Danyang told a media conference here.
Japan is the third largest trade partner of China after EU and US. The trade relationship between the two countries tripled in the past decade to more than USD 340 billion.
"The farce of buying the Diaoyu Islands seriously violates China`s territorial sovereignty and severely hurts the feelings of the Chinese people, which have aroused strong indignation and opposition across the nation," he said.
Protests demonstrations were held all over China during the past few days and a number of Japanese business have been closed after sporadic attacks.
Many Japanese enterprises have suspended production as agitated Chinese people staged protests to boycott Japanese goods.
Shen voiced support to rational patriotic activities, saying that the ministry will firmly oppose illegal behaviour involving smashing and looting during protests.
"Legitimate interests of foreign companies are under the protection of Chinese laws," Shen said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!