China warns US from muddying waters in S China Sea
Beijing: It was no time to "make waves" in the disputed South China Sea and dance behind a "Pied Piper", China`s official news agency warned on Saturday, after US said it would shift the bulk of its naval fleet to the Pacific Ocean by 2020.
"It is advisable for some to refrain from muddying the waters and fishing therein and for some others to desist from dancing behind a Pied Piper whose magic tone, as tempting as it is, might lead its followers astray," said Xinhua in a commentary, referring to the sea, which is part of the Pacific and the subject of overlapping territorial claims.
China claims the South China Sea in full, and it is also claimed in whole or part by Taiwan, Brunei, Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines.
The much-hyped China threat to the freedom of navigation in South China Sea is a pure invention, Xinhua said.
"China has seen its political, economic and military strengths growing markedly,fabricating new claims is not in its blood," said the agency.
It was Beijing`s "genuine wish" to turn the South China Sea "into a sea of peace, friendship and cooperation," added Xinhua, in the commentary titled `Not to make waves in South China Sea`.
In a major re-posturing, US today announced it will shift the bulk of its naval fleet including as many as six aircraft carriers to the Pacific by 2020 as part of new strategic focus on Asia.
The decision to deploy more warships to the Pacific Ocean, Defence Secretary Leon Panetta said, was part of a "steady, deliberate" effort to bolster the US role in the area, deemed vital to American interest recently by President Barack Obama.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown