China welcomes Manmohan-Sharif meeting
Beijing: Welcoming the meeting between prime ministers of India and Pakistan in New York, China on Monday said it supports efforts by the two neighbours to resolve their differences through dialogue as it is critical to the region`s peace and stability.
"We welcome the efforts made by the leaders of India and Pakistan to improve bilateral relations," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said while welcoming the meeting between Manmohan Singh and Nawaz Sharif.
"India and Pakistan are both important countries in South Asia, the improvement of their relations is critical to peace, stability and development in the region," Hong said.
"As their common neighbours and friends, China supports, as we always, efforts by India and Pakistan to solve their differences through dialogue and cooperation to achieve common development," he said.
Singh and Sharif yesterday met in New York on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly for the first time and discussed ways to normalise bilateral ties, in the grim backdrop of India`s concerns over continued terrorism emanating from Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert