China: Wife of Bo Xilai admits murdering Heywood
Washington: Gu Kailai, the wife of disgraced Chinese politician Bo Xilai, has admitted to murdering British businessman Neil Heywood because he knew too much about her illegal financial dealings.
Gu said she killed Heywood, 41, to stop him from revealing the billions of dollars she illegally moved to overseas accounts.
According to the New York Daily News, authorities believe the 53-year-old had transferred USD 6 billion to accounts under the names of relatives and acquaintances in the US, Britain and other countries to hide undeclared income she had been receiving since the early `90s.
Heywood reportedly helped Gu open the accounts and exchange currencies.
Gu was under investigation for her financial dealings last November when Heywood was found dead in a hotel in Chonqing, the central Chinese city where her husband, Bo, was the Communist Party chief.
At the time, officials under the control of Bo, said Heywood died from a drinking binge and quickly cremated his body.
Sources who obtained “an interim investigation report circulated among senior party officials”, said Gu admitted to the murder because she felt “driven into a corner” by the investigation into her finances.
The wife of the ousted Chonqing leader, who is currently being interrogated by government officials in northern China, gave a detailed description of how she committed the murder and also admitted to taking bribes and cross-border remittances.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'