China willing to promote military ties with US
Washington: China is willing to work with the US to properly handle their differences and promote stable and sound development of military-to-military ties, a senior Chinese Army officer has said.
Cai Yingting, a deputy chief of the general staff of the People`s Liberation Army, made the remarks on Thursday in a meeting with US Deputy Secretary of Defence Ashton Carter at Pentagon.
Cai, who arrived in the US on Monday for a visit, said the two nations have made key and positive progress in developing bilateral relations since the Obama administration came to power in 2009, reported Xinhua.
The top leaders of the two countries have reached important consensus to establish a new type of big power relations, he said, adding that the two sides should be committed to the principle of equality, mutual benefit and win-win cooperation while developing inter-military ties.
Asserting that the US strategy in the Asia-Pacific region is not aimed at containing China, Carter voiced his country`s hope that China continues to be its cooperation partner.
He called on the two sides to work together to find a way to ensure their development and prosperity through cooperation.
Also on Thursday, Cai met Admiral James Winnefeld, the vice chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, and General Lloyd Austin III, the US Army`s vice chief of staff.
During his talks with Winnefeld, Cai said the two countries should prevent their military relations from suffering major setbacks.
Winnefeld said that, as conflicts and frictions between big powers are inevitable, it is important for both sides to enhance dialogues, step up strategic mutual trust and avert misjudgement.
While meeting Austin, Cai proposed that the two countries should promote mutual trust and cooperation between their armed forces, and properly tackle the obstacles that are undermining healthy and stable development of inter-military ties.
Austin said it is important to establish a long-term and fruitful inter-military relationship between the US and China, which will benefit both sides.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram