China worried over South Korean military exercise plans
Seoul: China has said it was concerned over South Korean plans to hold artillery exercises on an island that recently came under attack by North Korea, a media report said on Saturday.
China urged restraint and expressed its worries over the day of live-firing exercises scheduled for between December 18 and 21, the Yonhap News Agency reported, citing a South Korean government source.
"In concert with its existing position, China called for calm and restraint to curb mounting tensions on the Korean Peninsula," a diplomatic source in Seoul told Yonhap.
South Korean Ambassador to China Yu Woo Ik was told of China`s position on Friday by Vice Foreign Minister Zhang Zhijun, the source said.
The exercises on Yeonpyeong Island in the Yellow Sea were likely to be put back a day or two due to bad weather on Saturday, Yonhap News Agency reported, quoting a military source.
Yeonpyeong Island was hit by dozens of artillery shells from the North on November 23 that killed two civilians and two marines in what the Stalinist state said was retaliation for drills carried out by the South on the island.
Russia has asked South Korea not to stage the firing drills but the US has backed Seoul`s right to hold them.
The Stalinist state has threatened "a merciless counter-attack" if shells fired during exercises stray into its territorial waters.
South Korea has threatened to retaliate if the North attacks it again.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?