China worries North Korea may turn against it: Daily
Beijing: China should make North Korea pay a "heavy price" if it went ahead with its planned nuclear test, a state-run daily said today, expressing concern Pyongyang may even turn against Beijing, its main ally.
"If North Korea insists on a third nuclear test despite attempts to dissuade it, it must pay a heavy price. The assistance it will be able to receive from China should be reduced," state-run Global Times said in an editorial.
"Some Chinese scholars believe that China will face a diplomatic challenge if North Korea carries out a third nuclear test. They worry that Pyongyang will turn against China because of China`s participation in some international sanctions against it," it said.
"In the worst case scenario, the rupture that occurred in relations between China and the Soviet Union will be repeated. Such concerns are driven by a lack of confidence in China`s national strength, and they exaggerate North Korea`s diplomatic irrationality," the daily said.
"Some worry Pyongyang would completely turn to the US if it fell out with China. Such concerns are unfounded," it said, adding it is unlikely that China would punish North Korea as harshly if it went ahead with nuclear test.
"Pyongyang is important to China, but not important enough to make China give up its diplomatic principles."
The Chinese Foreign Ministry, meanwhile, said that the comments and editorial of Global Times are not in line with the position of the ministry.
China maintains that denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula is necessary and insists relevant parties solve problems through negotiations, it said adding.
Beijing is willing to maintain the Sino-North Korean friendship, but Pyongyang should do the same.
China, North Korea`s main donor since the 1950-53 Korean War, has restraint Pyongyang even as one of the world`s most isolated regimes prepare for its third nuclear test.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'