China:17 convicted for attacking demolition sqads
Beijing: Seventeen people were sentenced to
varied prison terms by a Chinese court for attacking officials
who came to demolish their houses, a scenario which has become
all too familiar in the country in recent years.
The 17 people were found guilty by a district court in
Lanzhou city of beating, clubbing, and hurling bricks to
prevent about 20 officers who tried to demolish a makeshift
construction they considered illegal in Lanzhou on July 26.
Nine officers were hospitalised with head and chest
injuries, state-run Xinhua news agency reported today.
The attackers were arrested on August 22 and charged with
violently obstructing law enforcement on September 16, court
Their jail terms ranged from three to six months.
None of them appealed the sentences, according to the
In China, there have been many cases in recent years of
homeowners, property developers, and law enforcers fighting
over demolition plans and compensation payouts.
Forced home demolitions with suspected official misconduct
have also been reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi