China`s Bo Xilai under criminal investigation
Beijing: China Saturday launched a criminal investigation into disgraced Communist Party leader Bo Xilai`s alleged offences, a day after he was stripped of his legal immunity and expelled from the country`s Parliament.
"The Supreme People`s Procuratorate has decided to put Bo Xilai under investigation for alleged criminal offences as well as impose coercive measures on him in accordance with the law," state-run Xinhua news agency quoted an official statement as saying.
"The investigation is under way," the statement said.
The probe which comes ahead of the November 8 Communist Party Congress to decide the once in a decade leadership change were expected to be completed well before that.
He faces a number of charges including, corruption, moral turpitude and attempts to protect his wife Gu Kailai from investigations into the murder of British Businessman Neil Heywood in November last year.
Gu was given suspended death sentence by trial court after she confessed her role.
Several officials including the police chief of the Chongqing city were given varied sentences for their complicity in the murder.
Bo, 63, believed to be a votary of Mao Zedong`s hard-line policies, was formerly secretary of the CPC Chongqing Municipal Committee and also a Politburo member.
Bo was expelled from the Communist Party and the government last month, after being stripped of leadership positions in April.
He once was considered a top contender for the all- powerful Politburo Standing Committee, the team of nine politicians who effectively rule China, but the news report on his expulsion last month, painted a portrait of corruption, abuse of power and improper sexual relationships.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!