China`s Bo Xilai under criminal investigation
Beijing: China Saturday launched a criminal investigation into disgraced Communist Party leader Bo Xilai`s alleged offences, a day after he was stripped of his legal immunity and expelled from the country`s Parliament.
"The Supreme People`s Procuratorate has decided to put Bo Xilai under investigation for alleged criminal offences as well as impose coercive measures on him in accordance with the law," state-run Xinhua news agency quoted an official statement as saying.
"The investigation is under way," the statement said.
The probe which comes ahead of the November 8 Communist Party Congress to decide the once in a decade leadership change were expected to be completed well before that.
He faces a number of charges including, corruption, moral turpitude and attempts to protect his wife Gu Kailai from investigations into the murder of British Businessman Neil Heywood in November last year.
Gu was given suspended death sentence by trial court after she confessed her role.
Several officials including the police chief of the Chongqing city were given varied sentences for their complicity in the murder.
Bo, 63, believed to be a votary of Mao Zedong`s hard-line policies, was formerly secretary of the CPC Chongqing Municipal Committee and also a Politburo member.
Bo was expelled from the Communist Party and the government last month, after being stripped of leadership positions in April.
He once was considered a top contender for the all- powerful Politburo Standing Committee, the team of nine politicians who effectively rule China, but the news report on his expulsion last month, painted a portrait of corruption, abuse of power and improper sexual relationships.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you