Taixing: A Chinese city shaken by one of three back-to-back attacks on schools stepped up security and urged its citizens to "trust the government" on Saturday, a day after parents of the injured children protested outside a local hospital.
A dozen police and security guards patrolled the lobby of the Taixing city People`s Hospital the morning after marching parents chanted "We want the truth”, asked to see their children and demanded a better government response to the crisis. Photos and video posted online showed hundreds of people massed outside the hospital on Friday night, pushing so hard to get in that they shattered a glass door.
The school attack in Taixing came on Thursday when a 47-year-old unemployed man armed with an 8-inch (20-centimeter) knife wounded 29 students aged 4 or 5 — five of them seriously — plus two teachers and a security guard.
The city government tried to ease fears in a mobile phone text message sent to citizens on Saturday.
"No one has died, and all of the parents have seen their injured children," the government said.
"Citizens please trust the government, don`t believe rumours," the text said.
A parent of one of the four children still in intensive care confirmed that he and other parents had been able to see their children on Friday and Saturday. Xin Feng, the father of a 4-year-old boy, said parents had no plans for further protests. A government employee was handing out compensation to families on Saturday, but Xin said he didn`t look to see how much his family received.
The central government first ordered increased school security in 2004 following an attack that left nine students dead at a Beijing school. Since 2006, schools have been required to register or inspect all visitors.