China`s environment ministry cautions govt over tallest dam
Beijing: China`s Environment Ministry on Thursday cautioned the government over the construction of the country`s tallest hydro power dam in the quake-prone Sichuan province, saying it will affect the flora and fauna.
The USD 4.42 billion Shuangjiangkou hydropower plant over Dadu river, tributary of Yangtze river, will affect the spawning and movement of rare fish species, as well as the growth of endangered plants, including the Chinese yew, which is under first-class state protection, the ministry said in a statement.
The project will have a total installed capacity of 2 GW, with annual power generation to reach 7.93 billion kilowatt-hours upon completion.
The ministry suggested counter-measures to help mitigate the plant`s effect on the environment.
The measures include protecting fish habitats in tributaries, building fish ladders and increasing fish breeding and releasing, as well as constructing seed banks for rare plants and cultivating them artificially.
Waste treatment facilities will be built in order to protect the environment while local residents are relocated, the statement said.
The project is estimated to cost about 27.3 billion yuan (USD 4.42 billion), out of which nearly 1.46 billion yuan will be used to cover the cost of environmental protection efforts, the statement said.
The project is reportedly put up for clearance by the central government.
Sichuan, which is located at the centre of the junction of the Indian Plate and the Eurasian Plate experienced a massive earthquake in 2008 and also last months which caused extensive damage to life and property.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested