China`s first AP 1000 nuclear power reactor getting ready
Beijing: China`s first nuclear power reactor using US-based Westinghouse Electric AP 1000 technology is expected to begin operations in October 2014, the manager of a Chinese nuclear power company said on Friday.
Gu Jun, General Manager of the State Nuclear Power Technology Corp, said construction of the reactor is proceeding well.
Construction on the reactor, the No. 1 reactor of the Sanmen Nuclear Power Plant in east China`s Zhejiang Province, has been underway since 2009, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The company had previously planned to bring the reactor online in 2013, but construction slowed after a devastating tsunami crippled a nuclear power plant in Japan in March 2011.
Slowing down construction allowed time for design adjustments and stricter construction requirements issued out of concerns over endurance, the company said.
China had 15 nuclear power-generating units in operation with a total installed capacity of 12.54 GW, and another 26 units currently under construction will add another 29.24 GW, according to a government white paper on energy policy released in October 2012.
The AP1000 is a two-loop pressurized water reactor sold by Westinghouse Electric Company.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Get ready to watch Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh in 'Padmavati'! Deets inside
- Bella Thorne comes out as bisexual via Twitter
- Shraddha Kapoor sought to judge music reality TV show?
- Big boost for PM Modi! US voices concerns over human rights situation in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir
- Lodha panel secretary accused BCCI selectors of taking sexual favours, reveals Ajay Shirke