China`s first stealth fighter J-20 revealed
Tokyo: China has completed a prototype of its first known stealth aircraft, media reports said Wednesday, reinforcing the nation`s military buildup ahead of a visit by US Defence Secretary Robert Gates.
China is to start test flights of the J-20 this month with an eye to the deployment of the fighter as early as 2017, Japan`s Asahi daily reported, citing unnamed Chinese military sources.
The J-20, which is larger than the US Air Force`s F-22 Raptor, will be equipped with large missiles and could fly to as far as Guam with aerial refuelling, Asahi said. It would still take another 10 to 15 years to develop technology to catch up with that of the US F-22, the article said.
The J-20 was undergoing high-speed taxi tests late last week at Chengdu Aircraft Design Institute`s airfield, defence industry publication Aviation Week reported. "It is larger than most observers expected - pointing to a long range and heavy weapon loads."
The completion of the J-20 "has confirmed that the Chinese military is rapidly advancing the modernization of its air force while putting more effort into advancing to the open ocean", Asahi said. "The move could have an impact on the military balance in East Asia."
The report came just days before Gates was due to arrive in Beijing. He was also scheduled to visit Japan.
Neighbouring countries are concerned about China`s military buildup. To counter China strengthening its military might, Japan wants to expand military ties with South Korea.
Japan`s Self Defence Forces aimed to purchase the US F-22, but the production of the fighter came to a halt, Asahi reported.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed