China`s first stealth fighter J-20 revealed
Tokyo: China has completed a prototype of its first known stealth aircraft, media reports said Wednesday, reinforcing the nation`s military buildup ahead of a visit by US Defence Secretary Robert Gates.
China is to start test flights of the J-20 this month with an eye to the deployment of the fighter as early as 2017, Japan`s Asahi daily reported, citing unnamed Chinese military sources.
The J-20, which is larger than the US Air Force`s F-22 Raptor, will be equipped with large missiles and could fly to as far as Guam with aerial refuelling, Asahi said. It would still take another 10 to 15 years to develop technology to catch up with that of the US F-22, the article said.
The J-20 was undergoing high-speed taxi tests late last week at Chengdu Aircraft Design Institute`s airfield, defence industry publication Aviation Week reported. "It is larger than most observers expected - pointing to a long range and heavy weapon loads."
The completion of the J-20 "has confirmed that the Chinese military is rapidly advancing the modernization of its air force while putting more effort into advancing to the open ocean", Asahi said. "The move could have an impact on the military balance in East Asia."
The report came just days before Gates was due to arrive in Beijing. He was also scheduled to visit Japan.
Neighbouring countries are concerned about China`s military buildup. To counter China strengthening its military might, Japan wants to expand military ties with South Korea.
Japan`s Self Defence Forces aimed to purchase the US F-22, but the production of the fighter came to a halt, Asahi reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!