China’s Hu in Hong Kong to install new leader
Hong Kong: Amidst discontent among Hong Kongers, Chinese President Hu Jintao arrived here on Friday to install the semiautonomous territory’s new leader.
The weekend also marks 15th anniversary of China’s takeover of Hong Kong from Britain.
The swearing-in ceremony of Hong Kong`s next leader Leung Chun-ying on Sunday is expected to witness huge demonstrations.
Leung Chun-ying is highly disliked by the residents of the former British colony, who believe China heavily influenced Leung’s election. They feel uneasy about being ruled by China’s authoritarian leaders. Notably, out of
Hong Kong’s seven million residents, just 1,200 elites had the right to vote for their chief executive.
The protesters are also angry over the number of scandals cropping up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok