China’s Hu in Hong Kong to install new leader
Hong Kong: Amidst discontent among Hong Kongers, Chinese President Hu Jintao arrived here on Friday to install the semiautonomous territory’s new leader.
The weekend also marks 15th anniversary of China’s takeover of Hong Kong from Britain.
The swearing-in ceremony of Hong Kong`s next leader Leung Chun-ying on Sunday is expected to witness huge demonstrations.
Leung Chun-ying is highly disliked by the residents of the former British colony, who believe China heavily influenced Leung’s election. They feel uneasy about being ruled by China’s authoritarian leaders. Notably, out of
Hong Kong’s seven million residents, just 1,200 elites had the right to vote for their chief executive.
The protesters are also angry over the number of scandals cropping up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing