China’s Hu in Hong Kong to install new leader
Hong Kong: Amidst discontent among Hong Kongers, Chinese President Hu Jintao arrived here on Friday to install the semiautonomous territory’s new leader.
The weekend also marks 15th anniversary of China’s takeover of Hong Kong from Britain.
The swearing-in ceremony of Hong Kong`s next leader Leung Chun-ying on Sunday is expected to witness huge demonstrations.
Leung Chun-ying is highly disliked by the residents of the former British colony, who believe China heavily influenced Leung’s election. They feel uneasy about being ruled by China’s authoritarian leaders. Notably, out of
Hong Kong’s seven million residents, just 1,200 elites had the right to vote for their chief executive.
The protesters are also angry over the number of scandals cropping up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why