China’s Hu in Hong Kong to install new leader
Hong Kong: Amidst discontent among Hong Kongers, Chinese President Hu Jintao arrived here on Friday to install the semiautonomous territory’s new leader.
The weekend also marks 15th anniversary of China’s takeover of Hong Kong from Britain.
The swearing-in ceremony of Hong Kong`s next leader Leung Chun-ying on Sunday is expected to witness huge demonstrations.
Leung Chun-ying is highly disliked by the residents of the former British colony, who believe China heavily influenced Leung’s election. They feel uneasy about being ruled by China’s authoritarian leaders. Notably, out of
Hong Kong’s seven million residents, just 1,200 elites had the right to vote for their chief executive.
The protesters are also angry over the number of scandals cropping up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray