China`s Hu urges Navy to prepare for combat
Beijing: Chinese President Hu Jintao urged the
country`s Navy on Tuesday to prepare for military combat and
advance naval modernisation as part of efforts to safeguard
The Navy should "accelerate its transformation and
modernisation in a sturdy way, and make extended preparations
for military combat in order to make greater contributions to
safeguard national security and world peace," Hu said in a
According to a statement on the government`s website, Hu
was speaking to the nation`s powerful Central Military
Commission at a meeting in Beijing focused on military
armament and the latest developments in the Navy.
"Our work must closely encircle the main theme of national
defence and military building," Hu said, according to the
In a translation of Hu`s comments, the official Xinhua
news agency quoted the president as saying China`s Navy should
"make extended preparations for warfare," strengthening the
term "junshi douzheng" that can be also translated as
"military combat" or "military struggle."
Hu`s comments come after China said late last month it
would conduct naval exercises in the Pacific Ocean, following
a major diplomatic campaign by President Barack Obama to
assert the United States as a Pacific power.
The defence ministry said the exercises did not target any
particular country, but the announcement comes against a
background of growing tensions over maritime disputes in the
Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao last month also warned against
interference by "external forces" in regional territorial
disputes including in the South China Sea, a strategic and
resource-rich area where several nations have overlapping
China claims all of the maritime area, as does Taiwan,
while four Southeast Asian countries declare ownership of
parts of it, with Vietnam and the Philippines accusing Chinese
forces of increasing aggression there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars