China’s Huawei slams US security risk complaints
Sydney: Chinese tech giant Huawei has criticized US for claiming that the company might be a security risk as trade protectionism that harms consumers.
The comments came as Huawei, which is a maker of network switching gear and smartphones, disclosed details of its 2012 performance in an effort to show transparency and allay security concerns.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, chief financial officer Cathy Meng expressed frustration about US security complaints.
She said that Americans pay about twice what Europeans do for third-and fourth-generation mobile phone service and suggested it was due to impediments to competition, the report said.
At a news conference, Meng said that these measures using trade protectionism to interfere with free competition will ultimately harm the benefits of end users and consumers, it added.
Outside the US, Huawei has grown rapidly in developing countries and is increasing sales in Europe, becoming the first Chinese firm to break into the top ranks of global technology companies.
Meng said that last year’s profit rose 33 percent over 2011 to 15.4 billion yuan on sales of 220.2 billion yuan, adding that still, last year’s profit was less than half 2010’s high of 24.7 billion yuan, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside